What is Christian Psychotherapy?
There are several levels to the definition of a Christian Psychotherapist:
1. There are Christians who do psychotherapy.
2. There are Christian Psychotherapists who have the regular practice of starting and ending sessions with prayer.
3. There are Christian Psychotherapists who can provide skilled Christian therapeutic interventions such as Listening Prayer Therapy.
1. At the first level you have faith-based counselling. This provides extra assurance of the safety and professionalism of the therapist. This provides assurance of the loving motive of the therapist and of their ethics and attitudes.
2. There is a significant but subtle shift in the atmosphere of a therapy session opened in prayer. I notice that we are less likely to get stuck and go in circles.
Closing a session in prayer can provide a sense of the caring of the therapist, affirmation of being heard as well as the subtle spiritual benefit of the prayer itself. I generally like to close in prayer for the sake of closure for the therapist and the release of responsibility for outcome to God.
3. Christian Psychotherapy that makes use of Prayer Therapy is known to be effective. Even the AA 12 Step Groups use turning the issue over to God as a key step in liberation from addictions.
I have evidence in the research literature that some forms of prayer therapy can be so well aligned with the current research on Memory Reconsolidation as to produce rapid and permanent healing of traumatic and core memories. My clients and I can attest to the effectiveness of Listening Prayer Therapy as I practice it.
Book your session today by phone: (416) 939-0544
Professional fee per hour session is $160.00 (2022 - subject to change). There is a fee for late cancelled appointments. Payment is due at the end of your appointment. Payment by e-transfers or PayPal. A receipt is issued.