What is Love Addiction?
What is love addiction?
A love addict ensure one will always have a love partner available. They may always stay in touch with previous love interests, never wanting to close any doors. They do not pause between relationships but jump immediately to another relationship. It may mean that if you have a serious fight with your love that you immediately hook up with another person if only for a one-night stand.
There can be many reasons for the love addiction pattern. A simple one is that your life from childhood has been in the People-Pleasing pattern. People Pleasing itself, can be seen as a form of love-addiction, in which one gives up one's right to be oneself in order to earn recognition and affirmation.
This means that Love Addiction may be almost welded into your personality pattern (persona or schema). It is not just a habit it is a part of who you are. It is not a decision so much as a behaviour rooted in your unconscious.
Other aspects of Love addiction may include:
- Difficulty spending time alone,
- Frequently starting relationships with emotionally unavailable people,
- Feelings of desperation when not in a relationship,
- Difficulty leaving bad relationships,
- Returning to abusive or emotionally unavailable partners.
Those who to shift the pattern of love addiction in their life would need to work with an experienced psychotherapist whose focus in personality transformation. A therapist who understands, and encourages life transformation will help you to identify and deal with the foundational issues and core beliefs that sustain love addiction.
George Hartwell is a qualified, effective and experienced individual psychotherapist who will work toward long-term change of your love-addiction and people-pleasing pattern. This involves:
- Always gaining fuller awareness of one's life pattern,
- Using EMDR to transform the foundational issues and core beliefs,
- Exercises to consolidate one's identity.
Move Ahead and get started in changing your life:
- Contact George Hartwell to set up an initial appointment. Phone (416) 939-0544.
- Sessions are by phone, Zoom or Skype.
- Your insurance may cover some of the cost if you have coverage for a Registered Psychotherapist.
- Note: The fee schedule is $150 / hour or $215 for a 90 minute session with George. Sessions use a mix of evidence-based methods, including EMDR, to heal and free your Inner Child.